Prof. Denis Mareschal is a Professor of Psychology at the Centre for Brain and Cognitive Development in the School of Psychology, Birkbeck. .
His interests lie in all aspects of perceptual and cognitive development in infancy and childhood. His research involves a blend of (connectionist) computational modelling and empirical studies with infants and children. Previous research projects with children have included: the development of seriation abilities, the development of metaphor comprehension, and the developing basis for inductive reasoning. Previous research projects with infants have included: the search for occluded and visible objects, the perception of object unity, categorisation of visually presented stimuli, and the determinants of visual pursuit.The common theme that underlies Prof. Mareschal’s projects is the exploration of how the computational properties of a learning system (e.g., a connectionist autoencoder network or a 3-month-old infant) interact with the distribution of meaningful features in the environment to cause the observed patterns of development in children and infants.
Please see the list below for the most recent of Prof. Mareschal’s publications. More information about Prof. Mareschal including a more extensive publication list can be found here: Prof. Mareschal’s Publications
- Althaus, N. & Mareschal, D. (2014) Labels Direct Infants’ Attention to Commonalities During Novel Category Learning, PLoS ONE, 9. For full text click here.
- Addyman, C., Rocha, S. & Mareschal, D. (2014) Mapping the Origins of time: Scalar errors in infant time estimation. Developmental Psychology, 50, 2030-2035. For full text click here.
- Forrester, G. S., Pegler, R., Thomas, M. S.C. & Mareschal, D. (2014) Handedness as a marker of cerebral lateralization in children with and without Autism. Behavioural Brain Research, 268, 14-21. Click here.
- Althaus, N. & Mareschal, D. (2013) Modeling cross-modal interactions in early word learning. IEEE Transactions on Autonomous Mental Development, 5, 288-297. For full text click here.
- Westermann, G. & Mareschal, D. (2013) From perceptual to language-mediated categorization. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, 369. For full text click here.